Sawmills milled lumber for local construction. Frame construction quickly overtook log as the dominant architecture style because of the availability of local mills.
Sawmills were one of the first industries to arrive in Ontario. As mills became more plentiful, they offered alternatives to log house construction. The Harmer Sawmill at Fanshawe Pioneer Village was originally located on Lot 11, West Mitchell Road in Fullarton Township, Perth County. The Fullarton mill was a combined grist and sawing operation that initiated production about 1885. The original building was partially destroyed by fire in 1918, and was replaced that same year.