Purple Hill Loyal Orange Lodge

Original Building: Purple Hill Orange Hall

Purple Hill Loyal Orange Lodge, # 817: Talbot settlers were loyal followers of the Orange Lodge and quickly constructed meeting halls, similar to this 1880s example, also used for community social events.

The history of the Purple Hill Loyal Orange Lodge #817, chartered in 1857, is tied directly to the protestant Irish immigrants who brought Orangeism with them when they came to Canada. Many settled areas in the region of what is now southwestern Ontario had an Orange hall, including townships in the London district. These buildings were the focal point of the community, providing a place where settlers could get to know their neighbours and make contacts within the community.

Purple Hill Loyal Orange Lodge Media

Video Packages 
Clip 1
Clip 2
Location