Blacksmith Shop

Entrepreneurs, like blacksmiths, chose transportation crossroads to establish off-farm businesses.

Fanshawe Pioneer Village’s blacksmith shop is a reproduction, designed by Park Superintendent Rex H. Bishop, and constructed in 1958 by the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. The blacksmith shop was one of the original four buildings on site when the Village opened on June 26th, 1959 and is named for William H. Weir (1853-1934), who after apprenticing with Thompson’s Carriage Works in London, settled in West McGillivray Township. Weir’s horseshoes won many awards at local fairs and some of these are preserved in the Fanshawe Pioneer Village artifact collection.

Blacksmith Shop Media

Video Packages 
Clip 1
Location