Please Note: Beginning August 21st, 2020 visitors to Fanshawe Conservation Area and Fanshawe Pioneer Village will need to use a “temporary access route” to enter the park from Clarke Road as a result of road construction to extend Veteran’s Memorial Parkway. The temporary access route is south of the main driveway of the Conservation Area on Clarke Road - white signs read Fanshawe Conservation Area. Please ensure you allow adequate time to get through the construction zone when planning your visit.
Where the Past is Present
What to Expect
A visit to the Village will look a little different this year as we have made changes to the way in which our space operates to keep our visitors, volunteers, and staff safe. Even with these changes you will still get a look into the everyday life of the early settlers through conversations with our costumed Pioneers, demonstrations of skills and trades, and exploration of the heritage village.
We have introduced a reservation system for entrance to the Village to help with physical distancing! Starting July 11th, 2020 please call our Visitor Entrance/Tollgate at 519-457-1296 ext. 819, during open hours the day of, or a couple days before, your visit to book an entrance time for yourself or your group. Outside of these hours you can leave a message on our General Mailbox at 519-457-1296 ext. 810.
Of course, you are more than welcome to arrive without a reservation but please know that this may result in a short wait as we will be limiting the number of visitors through our gates.
The Village will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Staff and volunteers may be wearing masks or gloves, we encourage you to wear them as well if possible. Masks will be required in our visitor entrance, our heritage homes, and Denfield General Store.
- Allow yourself some extra time upon arrival as we want to ensure everyone feels comfortable as they enter the Village.
- Someone in your group will be asked to provide a name and phone number for your household at our entrance to help with contact tracing if need be– this is not a requirement for admission but it will help protect our community.
- To keep everything moving smoothly, we’ve assigned entrances and exits to our buildings. Where ramps exsist they are always available.
- Help us protect our heritage buildings and artifacts– they cannot be sanitized the way many other things can. Please do your part to keep them safe by enjoying artifacts from a distance.
To help keep our buildings safe the upper floors of our heritage buildings will be taking a rest this year, but you can explore them online using our Fanshawe 360 Experience.
Some of our buildings will be taking a rest this year. We look forward to being able to open them again in the future.
- We encourage you to bring a picnic lunch (complete with picnic blanket!) and a full water bottle with you as the Pioneer Village Cafe will not be open. For those wanting drinks, ice cream, and snacks during their visit Denfield General Store will be open as normal.
Hand sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the heritage village for your convenience.
Visit us to Explore and Experience
Hours of Operation
- 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., final admittance at 3:30 p.m. each day.
- Thursday to Sunday, September 10 to October 12, 2020
- Closed Monday to Wednesday
- Open Thanksgiving Day, Monday, October 12, 2020
- $10 for adults
- $9 for seniors
- $7 for children 4 to 16 years old
- free for children 3 and under
- All admission rates include tax.
Looking for a contact less way to visit the village? Consider purchasing an Annual Pass!
- BIG ON FUN Group Pass, 4 people, any combination: $75
- BIG ON HISTORY Single Pass, 1 person: $25
- BIG ON HISTORY Double Pass, 2 people, any combination: $45
- Each Annual Pass type comes with 2 free admissions so you can share the experience.
- Complete the Annual Pass form and return it to the village by mail or e-mail. You can also contact us at 519-457-1296.
Denfield General Store
Hours of Operation
- 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday to Sunday and Thanksgiving Monday, September 10 to October 12, 2020
To help keep everyone safe, please consider the following questions prior to your visit:
- Have you travelled outside of the province of Ontario in the past 14 days?
- Have you been in contact with anyone who has travelled outside of the province of Ontario or Canada in the past 14 days?
- Have you been in contact with anyone with a known or probable case of COVID-19?
- Have you been in contact with anyone experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19?
- Do you currently have symptoms of COVID-19: for example, fever, cough, difficulty breathing, or pneumonia?
Fanshawe Pioneer Village is here to serve you!
- Signs reminding people of our COVID-19 procedures will be posted throughout the Village. We ask that you help us and our community by reading and following these signs during your visit.
- During your visit stop in at the Denfield General Store and for treats, refreshments, local products, hand-made gifts, and souvenirs. Please note, the store will be limiting the number of visitors allowed in the store at a signle time and will have special instructions to ensure a safe experience.
- The Pioneer Village Cafe will not be open this year.
- Modern washrooms are available in the Heritage Village located behind the Pioneer Village Cafe. These washrooms have accessible stalls, as well as change tables.
- If you require access to an adult size change table please ask our Visitor Entrance/Tollgate staff.
Village Access & Accessibility
- Accessible parking is located near the Spriet Family Visitor Centre and Heritage Village Entrance.
- A drop-off circle is located in front of the Heritage Village Entrance for any drop-off or pick-up needs from the village.
- General admission is free for support workers when accompanying their clients.
- Fanshawe Pioneer Village is served by London-Para Transit.
- Fanshawe Pioneer Village is an outdoor museum that tells the story of rural communities and the founding of the City of London. As such, there are uneven roadways and paths throughout the village.
- When you enter there is a slow grade sloped path from the Tollgate into the Heritage Village. There are accessible pathways and ramps into the majority of our buildings.
- A limited number of wheelchairs are available for use at our Visitor Entrance/Tollgate.
How to Find Us
- Fanshawe Pioneer Village is located inside Fanshawe Conservation Area in London, Ontario. Enter at 1424 Clarke Road and follow the Orange Directional Signs.
- Upon entering Fanshawe Conservation Area please let the conservation area tollgate attendant know you are visiting Fanshawe Pioneer Village and they will direct you to the museum.
- Enter 1424 Clarke Road into your GPS or use it as your destination when creating a Google Map.
- Free parking!
- The large parking lot can easily accommodate school buses and campers.
- Accessible parking is located next to the Spriet Family Visitor Centre and Heritage Village Visitor Tollgate.
Where to Stay
The second floors of heritage homes will not be accessible in 2020. Please try out our Fanshawe 360 Experience to explore the upper floors of our buildings or those that may not be fully accessible.